This Space for Rent

Jan 15, 2018


Shimmy-inducing load

I ran out of room in the saddlebags, so I propped a bag of soymilk on the top of the longtail; only 20 pounds, but high & loose enough so that it managed to provoke xtracycle shimmy despite the stupidly low trail fork I’ve got on this machine.

Jan 14, 2018

Breaking the law

Scofflaw randonneuse

(the emergency randonneuse in the parking lot at the end of Reeder Road)

Jan 12, 2018

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Final paint check

The final paint check before reassembling the headset & boxing everything up.

Jan 10, 2018

Railroad picture of the day

Stopping for a train

When I was coming home from King Harvest I reached the foot of Spokane Ave just before the working Eng! came by with a short train of refrigerator cards.

Jan 08, 2018

Touch-up paint

I finally got around to painting the rack&fork

Approximately a year after building it, I finally painted the mountainhack’s fork + rack. Sadly, I couldn’t find the exact fluorescent pink I used before, and the one I used to replace it ended up being a darker pink in all but sunlight.

(there are still things that need to be done to this frame; I need to reposition the pusher boss, paint the NDS rear dropout (I stripped the paint off it so I could braze on a pump peg one morning when I was doing a programming contract, so I didn’t have time to clean & paint it then and subsequently kept putting it off), and fish power through the frame & fork.)

Jan 06, 2018

(not so) still life with domestic vermin

Buckeley and his very best friend

Buckeley & his very best friend Mavis.

Jan 05, 2018

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Protractor Mite

Dust Mite measures some angles

No labels

Ready for decals & clearcoat?

The topcoat (hopefully; I may need to put a small mask on and slide the seatstay fade down a little bit) is curing, and then decals + topcoat + mailing.

Jan 04, 2018

Keeping the cats warm

Cold afternoon

Why, yes, we do have a space heater running downstairs so that the cats can sit by it and warm themselves. Why do you ask?

Dec 31, 2017


Errol Heights peacock (2 of 2)

One of the Errol Heights flock, sitting down in a front yard on a chilly, but sunny, Sunday afternoon.

Dec 30, 2017

Pinned by a cat

Pinned by a cat

Buckeley pins me to the bed and snarls at me

Dec 29, 2017

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Colander Mite

Wash, then drain, one Mite.

Dec 24, 2017


Probably not the start of a blizzard (2)

A (briefly) White Weaponized Winter Holiday

Dec 22, 2017

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

The mighty hunter

Bringing back the yule log (with attached foliage)

Dec 19, 2017

Starting to assemble frame 6.5 (or 7.5)

Dissolving the flux after gluing in the dropouts and steertube

The gravel®©™ frame is being built up with lugged dropouts, so I’m sticking them onto the chainstays & fork legs before I braze them into their corresponding components (this way I can cheat and use the dropouts as levers to help hold the stays/legs in the correct position when I clamp them into their jig of the evening. And while I was at it I decided this would be a good time to glue the steertube into the fork crown (so I can drill out the brake bolt hole & vents/wiring holes before sticking the legs in and having to work around them in the drill press), so that means all three of the subsystems are now sitting in the bathtube to soak off the remaining flux.

Dec 18, 2017

It’s Fruitcaking Time!

Material components

Fruitcake ingredients: candied citron, one of the mandarines, and possibly most of this mango. And then to chop it into small chunks and go breveting (because my children won’t eat it and I will.)

Dec 15, 2017

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Things to braze, things to mite

Checking out some frame bits before I drag them out to the garage and pour hot glue (brass) into the joints.

Dec 14, 2017

Heating oil delivery

Heating oil delivery truck

We ran out of heating oil approximately 30 minutes after I called in an order for more, so I had to get some oil myself to fill in the 5-day delay (the joy of mergers; as the oil delivery business in Portland collapses down to two vendors it’s no longer quite so important to them to deliver the oil in finite time) before the delivery arrives.

If I could find a 10 gallon tank (that I could build into a tank car) I’d be tempted to start picking up all the heating oil by myself – buying it at the gas station is, even with road taxes, cheaper than having it delivered.

Dec 12, 2017

Half painted


The reddish magenta on the front end of this frame is very sensitive to the light it’s photographed in. Under sunlight, it’s almost pink but here, under LED light, it’s a much deeper and purer red.

Dec 09, 2017

Holiday Express

4449 and emergency randonneuse

The becoming traditional photo of one of Portland’s steam locomotives & one of my bicycles (the bicycle is out of focus because I was using one of my Pentax 110 lenses; f2.4 does not work well when one of the subjects of the photo is 20 meters closer than the other :-)

Dec 08, 2017

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Epoxy Mite

Getting ready to do some finishing work.


Obéir c'est trahir, Désobéir c'est servir