This Space for Rent

Feb 23, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging ™

Reclassification Mite
Dust Mite helps me with a patch request

A dyke & her bike

A dyke & her bike

In the middle of coming back from the courthouse after filing to change my legal name & sex. Note the rakish angle of the saddle; I’d hit a pothole and the silly thing slid back and down (the one good thing about this is it reminds me that I need to set up an appointment to do some additional repair work.)

Feb 21, 2024

Railroad picture of the day

Milw H16-66 #440 at Iron River, Michigan

Not in La Crosse (the only time I saw #550 in North La Crosse was while it was being shipped to the breakers in Milwaukee), but in iron ore service in the UP.

Feb 20, 2024

railroad picture of the day

Milw S-12 #904 sits by the yard office in North La Crosse

A BLW S-12 in the Milwaukee’s North La Crosse yard about 3 months (I think) before I imprinted on the platonic ideal of road switchers (the 4 alco-rebuilt rsc-2m roadswitchers that frequented the area until they were sent to the breakers in 1976.)

Feb 16, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Still life with fruits and mite
Still life with fruits and Mite

What? It’s ART, damnit!

Feb 09, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Salad Mite
Making up another batch of salad

Feb 08, 2024

It’s always a good day for a photo of #578

578 switches in North La Crosse
This one was taken in 1972, which was around the time I became aware of the Milw’s RSC-2ms

Feb 02, 2024

And the first fruitcake of the year, made with the citron mentioned below

first fruitcake of the year!
It lasted three days, so I’ve gotta make another one

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Candied Citron Mite
This year’s first batch of candied citron is being inspected by QA.

Jan 26, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Red beans & Mite
It’s been a while since I last made red beans & mite.

Jan 22, 2024

Thor lounges

Behold the adorable floof!

Jan 19, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Dust Mite & ancient ornaments

The ornaments were made in New Jersey (in 1959 or 1960; as far as I know you can’t get American made blown glass baubles anymore). The Dust Mite, on the other hand, is an undocumented immigrant from 2005 or so.

Jan 12, 2024

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™


There were show flurries this afternoon (as part of the temperature crashing down into the low teens (around -9C; 16°F in imperial units) – more snow is expected to follow tomorrow, when the temperature’s gonna get down to -11C, which will be just grand for this particular patch of allegedly temperate land) and Dust Mite wanted to pose for a portrait in the snow.

Look carefully! There were actually a few snowflakes scattered around!

Jan 05, 2024

friday dust mite blogging™

A newly wrapped scratching post awaits the safety inspector’s verdict.

Jan 03, 2024

post holiday package returns

Post-holiday package returns

I may not be fit enough to take the GT up to Ripplebrook this month, but it can serve the equally important job of taking returns to the post office & UPS.

Jan 01, 2024

Chilly afternoon ride

Ob-"Gravel" photo

I took the Traditional Randonneuse out for a 10 mile loop this afternoon, and managed to successfully not freeze my fingers and toes off.

Holiday switcher

UP SW10 #96

Apparently ex-Union Pacific SW10 #96 was the motive power for this year’s Holiday Express (Polson Logging’s vest-pocket mikado #2) was on the other end of the train, but was running along with a clear stack, even when going upgrade.)

Dec 29, 2023

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Brazing Mite
It’s a bucket of torches & mites

Dec 22, 2023

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Twas the Friday...
It’s the 22nd; a good time to shop for a tree

Dec 15, 2023

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Rando bag mite
The (rando)bag maker

Dec 08, 2023

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Dust Mite reads an article about tramcar construction


Obéir c'est trahir, Désobéir c'est servir