This Space for Rent

Oct 29, 2019

The helpful cat

Mavis sorts the placemats

Mavis helps sort out the placemats

Oct 27, 2019



The bagette and the lettice wouldn’t fit inside either of the bags, but fortunately there were enough exterior pockets for them.

Oct 26, 2019



Mavis judges us all

Oct 25, 2019

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

A snug fit

Checking the bottle cage fit for frame 11.5; I must have mismeasured the DT boss locations, because a bottle juuust barely clears the ST bottle cage when it too has a bottle. Fortunately, my fuckup wasn’t serious enough to actually mean I needed to go back and braze in another bottle cage boss further up the tube!

Oct 18, 2019

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Aligning a rack

Dust Mite helps me align a hoverrack before I braze fork leg stays onto it.

Oct 17, 2019

Almost finished with frame #11.5


There are still a few bits that need to be brazed on, and then I have to clean all of the flux off, but it’s now a bicycle instead of a pile of fractionally glued together tubing.

Oct 15, 2019

Railroad photo of the day

Meeting a Portland Traction train at the north end of the Springwater Trail

Meeting an EPT train at the north end of the Springwater Trail

Oct 11, 2019

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Installing a fender

Dust Mite installs a fender

Oct 10, 2019

purple bike, sunny afternoon

Purple bike, sunny afternoon

The disco travel bike rests in the middle of a (windy!) afternoon ride.

Oct 09, 2019

Frontiers of capitalism

80% of this shelf-space is various vanilla extracts and/or flavors

You can’t get lemon extract at New Seasons. Apparently shelfspace is limited. But not so limited that they can’t stock 23 different types of vanilla extract/flavoring/paste.

I wonder how many of these vanilla things are sourced from the same manufacturer?

Oct 04, 2019

Friday Dust Mite Blogging™

Revising my frame jig

Dust Mite helps me align & modify my frame jig

Oct 03, 2019

Test ride

Test ride

I modified this frame to have disc brakes (so new rear dropouts & an entirely new fork) so I’m riding it around to see if anything explodes before shovelling it back into a box and mailing it back to its owner. I’ve set it up as a singlespeed, but I will probably tape some di2 onto the thing and ride it like that after I glue on some rack mounts and can attach a rack to it. But today I tested it on a tiny bit of gravel, and survived to tell the tale.

(And, yes, I didn’t cut the steerer; I used a cutoff from a 1" headtube as a big old spacer, but it wasn’t quite long enough so I needed to throw in the only 1⅛“ spacer I could find plus a cable hanger. Thus the weird looking gooseneck at the top of the steertube.)


Obéir c'est trahir, Désobéir c'est servir